Rice Dumplings Festival: Where to Buy Your Favorite Zongzi and Bak Chang
Do you know where to buy your favourite rice dumpling (Zongzi 粽子) or Bak Chang for the coming Dragon Boat Festival (端午节)? The name of the festival has almost become Rice Dumplings Festival (Zong Zi Festival 粽子节) because there are so much attention and demand for rice dumplings that it has become the main focus of the festival. Different dialects groups have their own version of rice dumplings such as the traditional Hokkien style Bak Chang or Bak Zang, the famous Nonya Kueh Chang and Cantonese Joong. The Chinese-style rice dumplings are normally in pyramid shape but in other countries like Taiwan and Vietnam, it is long and flat.
In Singapore, you are spoilt for choices as you can find variety of rice dumplings with different flavours and ingredients here. You can find the most humble traditional Bak Chang from your friendly neighbouring hawker centres to exquisitely handcrafted and premium rice dumplings from reputable restaurants.
We have compiled a list of them below and many of them provide online ordering and delivery so save you tons of efforts and times. However, you need to make the ordering at least 3 days in advance as most of the stalls or restaurants are overwhelmed with orders during these periods.
If you are planning to give away exquisite Zongzi (粽子) as a gift to your family, friends or clients, Peach Garden has a special glutinous rice dumpling package called Golden Boat Package ($73.60). It contains six assorted rice dumplings with a good mixture of savoury rice dumplings and sweet rice dumplings. It is an ideal gift for someone special but if you prefer to order à la carte, they have a wide range of choices too. See below for the list of them.
Pricing for à la carte Rice Dumplings:
Savoury Rice Dumplings
- Traditional Roast Meat Glutinous Rice Dumpling （裹蒸粽) $20.10
- Braised Pork Belly Glutinous Rice Dumpling （东坡肉粽）$17.95
- X.O. Sauce Pork Ribs Glutinous Rice Dumpling （XO 酱排骨粽）$16.90
- Dang Gui Herbal Chicken Rice Dumpling （当归药膳鸡肉粽）$16.90
- Vegetarian 5-Grain Rice Dumpling (五谷斋粽) $10.45
Sweet Rice Dumplings
- 5-Grain Rice Dumpling with Shredded Coconut (五谷椰丝粽) $10.45
- Petit Alkaline Rice Dumpling with Red Bean (红豆迷你枧水粽) $5.10
- Petit Alkaline Rice Dumpling with Purple Sweet Potato (紫沙迷你枧水粽) $5.10
Tel: 6252 9833
How to Order: Order online at https://www.peachgardeneshop.com/ (You will enjoy 10% off when order online but require 3 days in advance for ordering.)
Delivery: Free local delivery for orders above $120.
Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant (万豪轩)
If you are craving for delectable and flavourful Zongzi (粽子) for the coming dragon boat festival, the premium zongzi at Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant will sure to excite your taste buds. Their zongzi are individually crafted by the Chef Loh Kah Poh with premium ingredients such as morel mushroom, black truffle and cordyceps. They also pack their premium zongzi into boxes so it makes a perfectly presentable corporate or personal gift.
Date available: 16 May to 12 June 2016
- Morel Mushroom with Pork Belly & Dried Scallop Zongzi
($18 per piece/$126 per box for 6 pieces)
- Black Truffle with Cordyceps Flower & Pork Belly Zongzi
($18 per piece/$126 per box for 6 pieces)
- 5-Grain (Vegetarian) Zongzi
($9 per piece/$72 per box for 6 pieces)
- Signature Pork & Salted Egg Zongzi
($12 per piece/$88 per box for 6 pieces)
Tel: 6831 4559
How to Order: Order online at http://www.singaporemarriott.com/dining/promotions/?r=1190
Self Collection: Collect from Wan Hao Chinese Restaurant, level 3, 320 Orchard road, Singapore 238865. Collection time slot available from 12pm-3pm or 6.30pm-9.30pm.
Delivery: $60 per location in Singapore, free delivery for order above $500. Delivery time slot available from 9am-1pm or 2pm-6pm.
The rice dumplings from Jade Restaurant is not only delicious but aesthetically pleasing. Check out their Nonya Keuh or ‘Pulut Inti’ as the pyramid zong zi is beautifully layered with generous ingredients and beautiful colors of purple and yellow. They also provide rice dumpling packages for gifting such as the “Golden Treasures” and the “Auspicious Celebration”.
Date available: May 23 to June 9, 2016
- Traditional Salted Pork Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($9.90)
- Vegetarian Five-Grain and Cordycep Fungus Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($8.90)
- Black Pepper Chicken Yellow Millet Rice Dumpling ($9.90)
- The Fullerton Glutinous Rice Dumpling ($9.90)
- The Golden Treasures (S$88 nett, 8 pieces)
- Auspicious Celebration (S$168 nett,10 pieces)
Tel: 6877 8943
How to Order: http://shop.fullertonhotel.com/ (3 days in advance for processing of orders)
Collection: Pick up at The Fullerton Cake Boutique
Delivery: $60 per location in Singapore. Delivery time slots: 10am-2pm / 2pm-6pm
Xin Cuisine Chinese Restaurant (新故乡)
If you are looking for a premium rice dumplings as a corporate gifts to impress your VIPs, Xin Cuisine Chinese Restaurant (located in Holiday Inn Singapore Atrium) will not disappoint you. They have four Rice Dumplings Festive bundles and hamper available; each with different flavours and ingredients that will satisfy your gifting needs. In addition, they have traditional rice dumplings but with a modern twist as premium ingredients such as truffle, foie gras, cordyceps flower are added to the rice dumplings to create new flavours and sensation. Check out the list of premium rice dumplings and pricing below.
- Xin Cuisine Homemade Traditional Zongzi （怀念经典咸肉炒米粽） $12.80
- Tea Leaves Duck, Fish Maw & Abalone Zongzi (茶皇鸭花胶鲍鱼裹蒸粽) $38
- Truffle and Foie Gras Zongzi（鲜松露鹅肝裹蒸粽）$28.80
- Cordyceps Flower & Pork Belly Zongzi (虫草花东坡肉粽)$18.80
- Lotus Seed Paste & Ginkgo Zongzi（天山雪莲银杏枧水粽） $10.80
Tel: 6731 7173
How to Order: Order online at http://www.holidayinnfestive.oddle.me/ (order online now to enjoy 15% off)
Hoo Kee Bak Chang (和记肉粽)
The Amoy Street Hoo Kee Bak Chang is well-known for its traditional, authentic and delectable Hokkien Bak Changs and they have been around for more than 50 years. They have another new branch at Bukit Merah (near the Bukit Merah public library). Unlike others who offer many flavours or new fusion Bak Chang, they focus only on three flavours – Original Bak Chang with chestnut, Bak Chang with salted egg, meat and chestnut and Bak Chang with mushroom and chestnut. They do not have delivery service but you can pre-order online and collect yourself.
$2.80 (Original Bak Chang)
$3.60 (Bak Chang with Salted Egg Yolk)
$3.60 (Bak Chang with Mushrooms)
Tel: 6221 1155 (Amoy Street Food Centre) / 6222 7866 (Bukit Merah Central)
How to Order: Order online at http://www.hookeebakchang.com/order/
Delivery: Not available. Self Collection only.
Eastern Rice Dumplings (东园肉粽)
Eastern Rice Dumpling provides a wide variety of rice dumplings and their signature products include Black Pepper Chicken Rice Dumpling, Kee Chang with Bean Paste, Cantonese Style Rice Dumpling with Egg York and Mini Nyonya Rice Dumpling. If you are health conscious and do not want to consume too much of calories, you can try their Mini Hokkien Rice Dumpling or Brown Jasmine Rice Dumpling. They also have the vegetarian version such as Vegetarian Nyonya Rice Dumplings, Black-Eye Beans Rice Dumplings, Kee Chang (Plain Zongzi or 碱水粽) and Kee Chang with Bean Paste (红豆碱水粽).
Pricing: Price valid from 26 April to 25 May 2016
- Kee Chang (Plain Zongzi 碱水粽) $1.30
- Mini Nyonya Rice Dumpling (迷你娘惹粽) $1.50
- Mini Hokkien Rice Dumpling (迷你福建肉粽) $1.50
- Vegetarian Nyonya Rice Dumpling $2.40
- Brown Jasmine Rice Dumpling (Hokkien style) $3.00
- Cantonese Style Rice Dumpling with Egg Yolk $3.30
Tel: 6352 6283
How to Order: Order online at http://dongyuan.com.sg/
Order must be made at least 2 working days in advance and before 3pm. A transaction fee of $0.50 plus 3.9% of the total amount will be charged at checkout.
Delivery: $30 delivery fee (only available for orders above $150 & free delivery above $300.)
Hiong Kee Dumplings (香记肉粽)
Hiong Kee Dumplings is one of the oldest stall selling traditional Hokkien Bak Chang in Singapore. Besides the usual Pork Rice Dumplings (Bak Chang), they also have the Chicken Dumplings, this gives an additional option for those who don’t like pork. They do not offer an online ordering service but you could easily find them in Hong Lim Food Hawker Centre.
- Bak Chang (咸蛋肉粽) with pork, mushroom, chestnut & salted egg $4.50
- Salty Bak Chang (咸肉粽) with pork, mushroom & chestnut $4.00
- Salty Chicken Rice Dumpling (咸蛋鸡肉粽) with chicken, mushroom, chestnut & salted egg $4.50
- Chicken Rice Dumpling (鸡肉粽) with chicken, mushroom & chestnut $4.00
- Nonya Rice Dumpling (娘惹粽) $3.80
- Belly Pork Rice Dumpling $4.50 (Need Advance Order)
Tel: 6535 2783
How to Order: Drop by at their shop at the following address.
Address: Hong Lim Food Centre
Blk 531-A, Upper Hokien Street, Singapore 051531 (Behind Chinatown Point)
Operating Hours: Mon – Sat 10.00am – 7.30pm (Closed on Sun & Public Holiday)
Kim Choo Nyonya Kueh Chang (金珠)
If you like the sweet Nyonya or Peranakan style of rice dumpling, you must not miss the rice dumpling from Kim Choo. They have established since 1945 and have been very active in preserving Peranakan heritages. Their famous Nyonya pork dumpling and traditional salty kueh chang are popular among Singaporean. They do not distribute their rice dumplings to shops or distributors so if you need to order in bulk, go to their shops or order online.
Pricing: (festive pricing from 1 June to 9 June 2016)
- Nyonya Chang（娘惹肉粽） $4.00
- Chicken Nyonya Chang（娘惹鸡肉粽）$4.00
- Vegetarian Nyonya Chang（娘惹斋粽）$4.00
- Salty Chang （福建肉粽）$4.00
- Salty Chang with egg （福建肉粽加蛋）$5.00
- Salty Chang with Chilli Shrimp （虾米辣肉粽）$5.00
- Cantonese Bean Chang（广东豆粽） $5.00
- X.O Chang （X.O肉粽）$8.00
- Mini X.O Chang（迷你X.O肉粽）$2.50
- Mini Nyonya Chang （迷你娘惹肉粽）$1.80
- Mini Salty Chang （迷你福建肉粽）$1.80
- Mini Chilli Shrimp Chang （迷你虾米辣肉粽）$2.00
- Kee Chang（枧水粽） $1.50
Tel: 6741 2125
How to Order: Order online at https://www.merrymaker.com/shop/kim-choo-kueh-chang (minimum order 10 pieces)
Alternatively, visit their shops at the below address.
Address: 60 Joo Chiat Place & 109/111 East Coast Road
Delivery Fee: $9 per location.
Hopefully, you have fun finding the best rice dumpling (Zongzi 粽子) or your favourite Bak Chang this year. Many of you might be pre-ordering your Zongzi in advance, here is a little tip on how to keep them fresh. Put the rice dumplings in the refrigerator and they can last for a week or put them in a freezer if you need them to last longer, say for a month. If you are reheating the rice dumplings, make sure the core temperature reach above 75℃ or above. Nevertheless, it’s good to consume them as soon as possible after purchase and discard immediately if there is change in appearance or smell.
We wish you have a wonderful dragon boat festival and enjoy your Bak Chang feast with your family and friends!